Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sketch Studies + Calligraphy Class.

On the left is the tutorial book; on the right is a page from my sketchbook. The girl at the center was copied using charcoal; the rest are graphite. My portraiture needs a lot of work.





Eye studies.



Reference photos were taken from Google and devART. Not enough contrast.





The largest apple is a shading demo by Inhye. I'm quite proud of the last, smallest apple. 8D



Our first Chinese calligraphy writing class. We were asked to copy from ancient manuscripts. In the back with the beige cap is our very awesome teacher, Zhang laoshi, doing some demos.



Written by Zhou Lixi, a classmate. He used to watch his dad write calligraphy. 甲于天下 means "the best in all the land."



My seatmates and I got to copy manuscripts written in 隶书, a very wide and easy-to-balance script. IMO, it's much easier to write than the standard Chinese script.



Here is Zhang laoshi doing a demo for my seatmate, Fan Chuchu. ^o^





We got Zhang laoshi to write everyone's names in calligaphy to label our works with. I think we owe him several lunches now, for when we go down to the province next spring for our sketching field trip.





He finally got to my table. Such poise.



我叫邓莲梨,是菲律宾留学生。



As it gets closer to grading day, everyone is allotted a space on the wall on which to display their works for the teacher to evaluate.







Mine, Lu Chen's, and Liu Man's.



Obligatory close-ups of my own writing. Zhang laoshi said that my writing is neat, but... a little too neat. This apparently results from writing too carefully. Must vary the width of my strokes more. But, he was very appreciative, haha.







These are works from the class next door.







Graphite portraiture and still life painting from last year's entrams. @ii@



No comments: